Shey Phoksundo Lake Trek lies in Dolpo, the largest territorial district in Nepal. Dolpo is the local name for the region; Dolpa is the government spelling. It is certainly a beautiful and splendid place. The exotic sites and natural sceneries lure people all over the world, thus making it a must visit this destination. Mirroring the snowy Kanjiroba massif, the turquoise lake waters look heavenly. No wonder this lake is regarded sacred by Buddhists and followers of Bon-po religion. Phoksundo Lake is Dolpo’s one and only teahouse/home-stay trek. Dolpo’s attraction is its rich religious and cultural heritage, thousands of years history inherited from the ancestors.
In Upper Dolpo’s vast arid land bordering China live some of Dolpo’s indigenous people with close cultural, linguistic, and racial resemblance to the people of Western Tibet. These people have lived in Dolpo for almost 4000 years preserving the early Tibetan Buddhist teachings and rituals till this day. The trail passes through wonderful Himalayan forests and picturesque traditional villages. The rivers and waterfalls on the trail are some of Nepal’s most magnificent. In addition to natural beauty, the trekking area also is rich in wildlife.
One may get to see some endangered species like the snow leopard, musk deer, blue sheep, great Tibetan sheep, Himalayan tahr etc. Within the Shey Phoksundo National Park lies our destination Phoksundo Lake.
Buddhism is the main religion in Dolpo. The monasteries in Shey and Tsakang are two important sites of pilgrim in this part of the Himalayas. The Crystal Mountain in the same region is considered holy by the people of Dolpo who believe in acquiring divine merit if circumambulated once in a lifetime. The teachings and practices of Buddhism in Dolpo grew even further after the Chinese takeover of Tibet in 1949.
The fleeing Tibetans including venerable Lamas crossed through Dolpo taking refuge at its many monasteries and towns scattered over the vast arid landscape. Some contemporary Rinpoches of different sects of Tibetan Buddhism were actually born in Dolpo to fleeing Tibetans. Buddhism continues to be a way of life in upper Dolpo; and till today young boys sent to places as far as Mysore in South India to study Buddhism under the tutelage of venerable Lamas.
- All airport/hotel transfers
- 4 nights Kathmandu in Kathmandu with breakfast.
- A full day sightseeing tour in Kathmandu valley including tour guide, Transportations and entrance fees
- Kathmandu-Nepalgunj-Juphal-Kathmandu airplane flight and departure taxes
- Food and Accommodation during camping trekking (full board service – breakfast, lunch and dinner + hot water)
- An experienced English speaking trekking & climbing guide and Sherpa porters to carry luggage including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodging
- All necessary paper works (National Park Fee )
- TIMS (card)
- Wongchu Peak Promotion Trekking duffel bag and trekking/ climbing map
- Travel and rescue arrangements
- Insurance for Nepali Staff
- Daily Dispatch on www.wppnepal.com
- Special Welcome and Farewell Dinner
- Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu because of early arrival, late departure, early return from mountain (due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
- If required to change from airplane to helicopter to/from Nepalgunj-Juphal due to weather issues, the additional cost of the helicopter will be shared amongst clients.
- Personal trekking and climbing gear
- Meals in Kathmandu (except breakfast and farewell dinner)
- Alcohol and Beverages during the trek and climbing season
- Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, shower etc.)
- Emergency Medical Evacuation & any medical costs.
- Tips for guides and porters
Waterproof Hiking shoes
Changing shoes / sandal
T – shirts
Warm fleece Jacket
Waterproof pant and jacket
Good gloves for trek and climb
Personal back pack
Sun block cream
Head lamp / torch
Water bottle -1 liter bottle
Tooth brush and tooth paste
Extra batteries for head lamp/ torch and camera
Extra film rolls/ memory cards (if digital camera )
Battery charger ( if digital camera)
Personal first aid kits
All the equipment can be purchased and some of the equipment can be rented in Nepal at reasonable price.